THE BigO MATHS PUZZLE #3

HOW MANY $INGAPOREANS ARE THERE IN $INGAPORE 2007?

2000:


The nation-builder press September 1, 2000.

2007:

$ingapore population figures (2006 estimates) as given on the official website: http://www.singstat.gov.sg/stats/latestdata.html

The last time the $ingapore government revealed the total number of $ingapore citizens was on September 1, 2000. The total then was 2,973,091.

In 2007, on the government's website, the number of $ingapore citizens is UNKNOWN. What is reported on the website is this: $ingapore Residents = 3,608,500.

THE EVER-SHRINKING $INGAPORE CITIZENSHIP EFFECT

"When you factor in $ingapore's falling birthrate, rising number of $ingaporeans migrating, the 150,000 - 250,000 $ingaporeans currently living abroad, your guess is as good as ours as to how many $ingapore citizens are living in $ingapore. Only the government's statistics department knows and it is not revealing."
- The young, restless and cynical Mirror of Opinion, August 3, 2007.

+ + + + +

THE CLAIM


THE REALITY

Four Million Smiles For Free?
A new campaign calls on $ingaporeans and the friends of $ingapore such as permanent residents and foreigners working here to submit a photograph of themselves to the Four Million Smiles website or to MMS the organisers.

Take part in the BigO Maths Puzzle on the right and find out just how many "smiles" are $ingaporeans.


They want four million smiles for FREE?
Even a monkey gets a peanut.
Click on the above panel for a free pin-up and click here for free "soundtrack".

How many $ingaporeans are there in $ingapore?

In recent reports in the $ingapore nation-builder press, it was revealed that for the General Election on May 6, 2006, a total of 1.22 million $ingapore citizens are eligible to vote. The report states that this number makes up 56.5 per cent of the total electorate. The remainder 43.5 per cent of $ingapore citizens cannot vote as their constituencies are not contested. Only citizens of $ingapore are allowed to vote.

Only $ingaporeans 21 years of age and above are allowed to vote. $ingaporeans age 20 and below are not allowed to vote.

Reuters reported April 26, 2006 that the fertility/ birth rate in $ingapore fell to 1.83 in 1990, and currently is as low as 1.24 in 2004. The total number of babies [citizens?] born in $ingapore 2004 was 35,100 babies.

The official population of $ingapore is given as 4,351,400 million. Of this total, 3,553,500 million are termed "residents" [The resident population comprises $ingapore citizens and permanent residents]. In the 1980 population census, the total population was reported as 2,413,900 million of which 2,282,100 million were termed "residents". Figures are from www.singstat.gov.sg.

From the above information, make an educated assessment:

1] What is the total number of citizens of $ingapore? Please include in your total the estimated number of citizens from age 1 to 20.

2] What is the percentage of non-citizens in $ingapore?
(Please include those who are permanent residents and foreigners. Also exclude the 100,000 $ingapore citizens reported to be staying overseas.)

3] Do you know of any country that has a larger number of non-citizens to citizens?

We are giving away 10 prizes of one album [limited to single-CD shows] of your choice from The BigO Audio Archive. These do not include albums listed as "Not for Trade". Email mybigo@bigozine.com with your answer and choice of one album from the BigO Audio Archive.



For more... email mybigo@bigozine.com with the message, "Put me on your mailing list."